The Beauty Mix
- Spring Coat Fever — My Top Plus Size Picks April 13, 2018Reportedly it’s spring in Chicago and on some days, it even feels like it! Not at the beginning of this week, however. We kicked off this week with a dusting of snow, much to my surprise! By Thursday we sailed up to 70 degrees — sunny and bright, but still windy and a bit chilly.... […]afrobella
- Black Girl Baking – Jerrelle Guy’s New Cookbook is Inspiring Me! Try These Recipes April 6, 2018I love cooking and I’ve become quite proficient at making food in general, but baking remains a daunting task for me. There are so many reasons I’ve never quite given it a go – the precision and time required, the potential for failure, years of flirting with various low-carb diets has held me back from... […]afrobella
- Flaking is Forever – Your BEST Tips for Dealing with Scalp Issues! March 29, 2018This post is sponsored by Head & Shoulders Me and flakes, we go way back. I started showing signs of white flakes around my hairline when I was a mere tween. I went from being confident about my newly-relaxed hair to feeling insecure super quickly – like, what’s with this itchy scalp? These flakes around... […]afrobella
- Inside the 2018 Wearable Art Gala March 21, 2018If you follow me on Instagram, you may already know — this weekend I found myself in the midst of the glitziest and most glamorous event I may ever have attended, the Wearable Art Gala. Hosted by Tina Knowles Lawson and Richard Lawson, the event is intended to celebrate art and raise funds for the newly... […]afrobella
- YouTube Taught Me — Some of The Best Black Beauty Vloggers March 2, 2018Big respect to the beauty and hair vloggers out there, shining a light on the range of our beautiful skintones and hair textures and body types on YouTube! I have nothing but admiration for the creators who are doing their thing via video. It’s such a different kind of grind. I’m a firm believer in knowing... […]afrobella
- AncestryDNA Kit Giveaway Winners! AND a Discount Just for You! February 23, 2018This post is sponsored by Ancestry. Wow. Can I just tell you guys how much I LOVED doing this giveaway? This was truly such a pleasure and so heartwarming and touching to read all of your comments and learn your own life stories. Thank you for sharing with me and the folks of Ancestry.com. I... […]afrobella
- Soothing and Smoothing Dry Skin with GOLD BOND® Ultimate Radiance Renewal™ February 17, 2018This post was sponsored by GOLD BOND® Ultimate Radiance Renewal™ but all thoughts and opinions are my own. Growing up in Trinidad and then living in Miami didn’t prepare me for the relationship with moisturizer that I have now. I spent more than half of my life in hot, humid climates. My skin was naturally... […]afrobella
- Making Sense of My Family History With Ancestry.com February 16, 2018This post is sponsored by Ancestry When my mother-in-law gifted me with a DNA kit from Ancestry some years ago, I was intrigued but skeptical. My mother-in-law comes from a family that’s very into genealogy and can trace their family tree back to as far as 1690. I was born and raised in Trinidad and... […]afrobella
- Date Night Dresses — A City Chic Lookbook February 12, 2018What do you wear on a special date night? It truly depends on the location and theme, right? For the most part date nights to us mean comfy jeans and a sweater. But every now and then, we like to get fancy and step out for a night on the town. My fellow curvy ladies,... […]afrobella
- Thanks to The Real For Naming Me a Black Girl Trailblazer! February 9, 2018Really happy and honored to share that this month I’m being celebrated by popular daytime program The Real, as one of their Black Girl Trailblazers. Click here to watch! It’s really a remarkable feeling to get these moments of validation, to remind me of my purpose and my path. I don’t take any of... […]afrobella
- Steps to Sizzling Legs May 6, 2011Most of us want to tone one area or another. If legs are your sore spot, Dr. Ian Smith has some simple leg-shaping moves.
- Antique Jewelry May 6, 2011When you think of antiques, you usually think of something old for your house. But what about investing in a piece of antique jewelry?
- Depotting Eyeshadow May 6, 2011If your makeup bag is overflowing, but you don't want to trash any of your stash, try organizing to save space. This one little magnetic palette will work magic!
- Baby Aisle Beauty May 6, 2011Some of the most common, inexpensive infant products do double duty for beauty!
- Understanding Hair Products April 20, 2011When searching for the ideal shampoo and conditioner, you've got to know how to break it down -- the label, that is!
- Denim by Cookie Johnson April 20, 2011Her husband, Magic Johnson, is known for wearing the pants on the basketball court. Now his wife, Cookie Johnson is, too, thanks to her new line of premium denim.
- Walk This Way April 20, 2011Walking is a great way to stay in shape and a simple step to overall health.
- Oily Skin Solutions April 20, 2011Oily skin isn't just troublesome for teens. Adults struggle, too. Here are some options - from drugstore to doctor's office - to get rid of the shine.
- 70s New and Old April 20, 2011Thirty-some years later, the bohemian styles of the seventies are back on the pages of fashion magazines. But how do you make the looks modern for today?
- Skateboarding April 13, 2011It's not often you see the girls rolling with the guys at a skate park. But women are discovering that with courage, confidence, and the right gear, you can get a total-body workout.
- Chicago’s City Wide Symphony Orchestra Celebrates its 70th Season Long-standing relationship with Chicago Park District and Jefferson Park Community
- The Gage: Chicago Fave on Michigan Ave
- Check out “Feathers” A Tango Journey from Tango 21 Dance Theater
- Gold Coast Chic: 3 Arts Club Cafe
- Spring Cleaning Your Closet and Chicago Consignment Options