The Beauty Mix
- Enter My Trading Spaces Blu-ray Giveaway! June 22, 2018Typically when I’m asked “what are your favorite Christmas comedies?” it comes down to a few top picks. Elf is a classic, and there’s a special place in my heart for Bad Santa. But my top holiday comedy of all time is probably Trading Places. AND unlike other holiday-themed movies, it’s a comedy that’s funny... […]afrobella
- 7 of My Favorite, Must Own, Would Recommend Cookbooks (That Are ALL Written By Women)! June 19, 2018Generally speaking as my weekends go, Saturday is for play and Sunday is for prep. Sunday is the day to settle down and gear up for Monday. I use my Sundays to recharge, to reconnect, and to plan out the details of my week to come from blog posts to meetings to what I’m cooking... […]afrobella
- Your Questions, Answered! FAQ for Hair and Scalp Care with Dr. Rolanda Wilkerson June 15, 2018This post is sponsored by Head & Shoulders For years, I had a flaky scalp but didn’t know what caused it, or how to treat the problem. Was it dandruff or dry scalp? All I knew was that the problem was persistent, from my teen years on into adulthood. I tried so many things, from... […]afrobella
- Draper James X Eloquii — What I Wore On TV and My Top Picks From The Collab June 4, 2018Do you ever just assume that a particular designer or aesthetic just isn’t for you, and therefore you never even give it a try? That’s me, with all things preppy or southern style. I just have never seen myself rocking gingham to good effect. I don’t know what to do with linen clothing and anything... […]afrobella
- My Hair Is a Garden by Cozbi A. Cabrera Is the Children’s Book I Wish I Had as a Kid May 30, 2018That moment when you encounter a book that’s a true keeper. That moment when you read a book you wish you had as a child, or wish you had written yourself. I felt all of that, the first time I beheld My Hair Is a Garden by Cozbi A. Cabrera. It’s just so beautiful. The... […]afrobella
- Oral Hygiene Upgrade – High-Tech Toothbrushes And Other Cool At-Home Dental Tools May 11, 2018To be honest, I took terrible care of my teeth for far too long. I didn’t floss, I didn’t brush with the proper care. I needed an oral hygiene upgrade but first, I had to burn to learn, as we say in Trinidad. I thought I was doing OK, but I was doing the bare... […]afrobella
- Spring Style Flow — My Poetic Justice Jeans Review! April 26, 2018FINALLY. Spring weather has come to Chicago. Hedges and trees are showing tiny green buds and the skies are bright blue again. It does so much for my spirit, just to see reemerging life and feel the sun shining on my skin! Expect to see more photo shoots in the coming weeks, I’m ready to... […]afrobella
- Spring Coat Fever — My Top Plus Size Picks April 13, 2018Reportedly it’s spring in Chicago and on some days, it even feels like it! Not at the beginning of this week, however. We kicked off this week with a dusting of snow, much to my surprise! By Thursday we sailed up to 70 degrees — sunny and bright, but still windy and a bit chilly.... […]afrobella
- Black Girl Baking – Jerrelle Guy’s New Cookbook is Inspiring Me! Try These Recipes April 6, 2018I love cooking and I’ve become quite proficient at making food in general, but baking remains a daunting task for me. There are so many reasons I’ve never quite given it a go – the precision and time required, the potential for failure, years of flirting with various low-carb diets has held me back from... […]afrobella
- Flaking is Forever – Your BEST Tips for Dealing with Scalp Issues! March 29, 2018This post is sponsored by Head & Shoulders Me and flakes, we go way back. I started showing signs of white flakes around my hairline when I was a mere tween. I went from being confident about my newly-relaxed hair to feeling insecure super quickly – like, what’s with this itchy scalp? These flakes around... […]afrobella
- DIY Nail Art Ideas June 19, 2014If you love changing your nail polish trying new designs on your digits, this segment is for you! Here are five fresh ideas for your fingertips with DIY nail art.
- How to Wear Denim on Denim June 19, 2014Here's how to make the denim on denim trend work in your wardrobe.
- How to Wear Blue Eye Shadow June 19, 2014The key to wearing blue eye shadow beautifully is how you wear it.
- What to Eat Before You Workout June 19, 2014If you're feeling kind of sluggish and can't make it through your workout at the gym, it could be what you are or aren't eating. Here's what you should be eating before your workout, no matter the time of day you exercise.
- 90 Outfits From Your Closet June 19, 2014A stylist shows you how to make 90 outfits for 90 days.
- Understanding Hair Products April 20, 2011When searching for the ideal shampoo and conditioner, you've got to know how to break it down -- the label, that is!
- Denim by Cookie Johnson April 20, 2011Her husband, Magic Johnson, is known for wearing the pants on the basketball court. Now his wife, Cookie Johnson is, too, thanks to her new line of premium denim.
- Walk This Way April 20, 2011Walking is a great way to stay in shape and a simple step to overall health.
- Oily Skin Solutions April 20, 2011Oily skin isn't just troublesome for teens. Adults struggle, too. Here are some options - from drugstore to doctor's office - to get rid of the shine.
- 70s New and Old April 20, 2011Thirty-some years later, the bohemian styles of the seventies are back on the pages of fashion magazines. But how do you make the looks modern for today?
- Chicago’s City Wide Symphony Orchestra Celebrates its 70th Season Long-standing relationship with Chicago Park District and Jefferson Park Community
- The Gage: Chicago Fave on Michigan Ave
- Check out “Feathers” A Tango Journey from Tango 21 Dance Theater
- Gold Coast Chic: 3 Arts Club Cafe
- Spring Cleaning Your Closet and Chicago Consignment Options