The Beauty Mix
- Beauty Brand History – Vaseline, from Skin Healing Past to Cocoa Radiant Present Day July 17, 2017This post is sponsored by Mirum for Vaseline Cocoa Radiant When I look back at my own beauty history, it was the very first product for me. That would be Vaseline — the multi-use balm that’s safe enough to protect against diaper rash. Honestly, it was probably your very first beauty product too — Vaseline... […]afrobella
- Matthew A. Cherry’s #HairLove Needs Our Support! July 14, 2017Most of the time, my mom or my aunts or my sister did my hair. But the occasions where my dad tried to comb my hair are amongst the most memorable. The struggle was real, and so was the love. Daddy haircare has an extra special place in my heart because of those memories. And... […]afrobella
- It’s Amazon Prime Day! 12 of the Best Prime Beauty Selections July 11, 2017Happy 7-11 everyone! If you’ve been conscious and had online access in the last month, you may be aware that today is also Amazon Prime Day! I’ve been a Prime member for years now, and I feel like in this safe space I can admit to being a bit of an Amazon addict. My wish... […]afrobella
- Afrobella on Windy City LIVE — Beauty Products to Keep You Looking Cool this Summer July 11, 2017I always say that this career is a never-ending exercise in rising to the occasion. I have been avoiding TV for years, because of my own fear and anxiety and self-consciousness. For years. I’ve been asked to appear on many a program and always found some reason why it wouldn’t be a good idea or... […]afrobella
- From A to Z — New and Not-So-New Indie Natural Hair Brands to Discover! Part 1 — A through E July 10, 2017In business, buzz and marketing can work in the favor of one brand over another. Sometimes a brand can be doing the best they can and producing perfectly amazing products, but for some reason that shine, that glow-up, that buzz remains elusive. In the hair and beauty world, this is where I come in.... […]Twanna Gill
- #ShowYourRoots — Inside My Clairol Root Touch-Up Experience June 20, 2017This post is sponsored by Clairol. I’m a natural hair blogger who adores her texture. I do everything I can to preserve my hair texture at all costs. My hair color, however? I’m willing to play with – as long as it doesn’t affect my hair texture. In high school, I wore my... […]afrobella
- The Luster Family Story– 60 Years of Black Beauty History, Made in Chicago June 2, 2017Black Beauty History is an ongoing series here at Afrobella – click here to read some previous installments. Think back to the very first black hair product you may have ever heard of – the first product you knew was intentionally made for our specific hair needs. For me, I believe that product was Luster’s Pink Oil.... […]afrobella
- It’s The Afrobella FandangoNOW “I Am Not Your Negro” James Baldwin Documentary Giveaway May 9, 2017The 2016 documentary film I Am Not Your Negro is based on James Baldwin’s unfinished manuscript for Remember This House. As described by NPR, it “…was to be Baldwin’s personal reflection on the lives and assassinations of Martin Luther King Jr., Malcolm X, and Medgar Evers, all of whom he was close with.” Using Baldwin’s own words,... […]afrobella
- Ask a Beauty Professional — Hair Shedding vs. Breakage: What’s the Difference and What Do I Do? April 25, 2017Bellas, we are living in a time of “fake news.” It’s true in terms of politics, and it’s also true in the beauty world. All over the internet and social media, I’m seeing totally misadvised information disguised as beauty hacks. Some of these so-called hacks are relatively harmless, but what concerns me is the trend... […]afrobella
- Karma Bliss Creator Devi Brown On Crystal Therapy, Seeking, Finding and More April 21, 2017They are beautiful, sparkling, harvested from the earth, and used to adorn our bodies, our homes and our lives. Your self care and wellness-knowledgeable friends may seem to know a lot about them. But how much do you know about crystals, and do you believe in crystal therapy? I’d love to know your thoughts. ... […]afrobella
- Better Your Blow Dry November 9, 2012Ladies, blow drying isn't just point-and-shoot.
- How to Wear Graphic Prints November 9, 2012Check out some of the stunning printed pieces from designer David Peck's collection.
- Graphic Prints November 9, 2012One designer says there's more to a print than meets the eye.
- Flywheel Sports March 12, 2012You've probably heard of spinning but you probably haven't heard of Flywheel. Here's why cities nationwide are buzzing over this workout.
- Tailoring Transformations March 12, 2012A few tweaks can transform the fit of an outfit.
- One Week/One Carry-On March 12, 2012Even the savviest packer might struggle with fitting one week's worth of outfits and into one carry-on bag. Here's how to pack light and stay stylish from arrival to departure.
- Drugstore Beauty Buys March 12, 2012How do you find the deals, buy the right product, and avoid impulse shopping?
- Air-obics March 6, 2012Some say it's the best workout they've ever done -- on a trampoline!
- Pair Your Makeup and Outfit March 6, 2012Don't ruin your ensemble with the wrong makeup.
- Help for Thinning Hair March 6, 2012Try these hair growing and hair thickening solutions!
- Chicago’s City Wide Symphony Orchestra Celebrates its 70th Season Long-standing relationship with Chicago Park District and Jefferson Park Community
- The Gage: Chicago Fave on Michigan Ave
- Check out “Feathers” A Tango Journey from Tango 21 Dance Theater
- Gold Coast Chic: 3 Arts Club Cafe
- Spring Cleaning Your Closet and Chicago Consignment Options